Pages

Saturday, January 31, 2009

May You Never Die

John Martyn one of the best old-school piss artist singer-songwriter-guitarists, not so very often aka Ian McGeachy, passed away last week.

I posted about his guitar skills, oh, I can't find it now, it's too late, I'm too sozzled, a few months/years ago... This was the music I spent some much of the 70's and 80' listening too and obsessing over. I saw him once, maybe two times (I'm checking with the ex-, her memory is better than mine.)

Someone said, here's a loss that they will really feel. Only 60 (nine years my elder). I concur...

Here is the clean-skinned young man circa 1973...



Vale.

E@L

7 comments:

savannah said...

another blogger posted some great youtube vids, sugar...an interview where he sang grace and danger, talk about bring tears to your eyes...xoxo

rockstar69 said...

Shit! John Martyn actually looked like that many moons ago. I suppose that means I have to accept your postulation that you looked like Nat in the dim dark past!

expat@large said...

Sav: that means I didn't do a good enough job?

R69: Don't let Nat find out! He'll just get depressed...

rockstar69 said...

Ah Dearest Expat,

Nat does not seem to demonstrate your love for fine food, wine, beer, spirits and disdain of exercise so, perhaps, he shall emerge unscathed. He's also got a woman to keep him on the good path. :-)

Li Yi said...

Never heard of him but that song sounds good. 60 is a tad young to die.

expat@large said...

Lisa: education is part of this blog's raison d'être... Glad to have broadened the bandwidth of your musical channels. 60 - way too young says this 51 year old.

exilestreet said...

Very sad that was, his cousin actually lived next to me in Glasgow growing up and I was priveledged to have a few encounters with the man, including one magical half hour echoplexed May You Never one Hogmanay when he couldn't even stand!!! An old school friend Allan was playing bass with him since 1980 or thereabouts. Sad. There is soon to be a double reissue of Solid Air with lots of extras and finally I recently posted the full Live At Leeds gig at my other blog here.
Regards/

Free Podcast

Related Posts with Thumbnails