Pages

Friday, February 18, 2011

Black Girl

Black Girl. Original title La noire de... (The Black Girl of...), directed by Ousmane Sembene. 1966.



More screenshots and a good discussion at a movie blog called Lolita's Classics.


One of the first, if not the first, full-length movie by a sub-Saharan director to be released in France (or anywhere presumably). It is about a misunderstood and disappointed Senegalese woman who comes to France as a baby-sitter. Her duties are those of a maid however, and though she had high expectations of seeing France, she sees nothing but the inside of her employers' apartment. She becomes depressed at her offhand treatment as an "animal" rather than a person, and commits suicide.

Now, I am not that much of a film aficionado to be aware of much of the Senegalese school, but there is an obvious correlation in this one to our (my) colonialistic (new word?) exploitation of Indonesian and Filipina maids (and Filipino and South Asian construction workers) in Hong Kong, Singapore and the Middle East, etc...

I haven't seen the movie, and I doubt it is available at HMV in Orchard Rd. My torrent site is down (as if it would have it either), so chances are I won't.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On a completely unrelated topic, I haven't heard from The Mouse, after her offer last year to come back and suffer under my harsh treatment work for me since she made contact late last year.

E@L

p.s. I take it The Mouse doesn't mind my nickname for her. She was smiling from tiny shell-like to tiny shell-like when she gave me a Christmas card that read -

"It was The Night Before Christmas And All Through The House Not A Creature Was Stirring... (turn to inside page) Except For The Mouse".

LOL!

No comments:

Free Podcast

Related Posts with Thumbnails