Pages

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Packing -- Finals Fever

Just a quick hello as I have been attempting to pack for two back-to-back trips to three climates; Tokyo warm, (come home, change suitcases) Melbourne cool/cold, Sydney temperate.

The Tokyo trip is done, easy, as it's merely a four day business trip. Melbourne is tough as it's part holiday, requiring warm casual wear, and part business, whereas Sydney is business during the day - a big conference - and catching up with old friends in the evenings. I think I'll put the business stuff in my small suit folder and the other stuff in an expandable soft bag. That way the business stuff can stay downstairs at my son's place, when I am there.

Actually, as far as Melbourne goes, I'm thinking of giving up the packing dilemma and buying brand new stuff when I get there. Most of my warm weather gear is way old anyway, and I'll need something to wear in Japan and Austria next year if I go skiing again, as I've promised myself and the Number 1 Son.

~~~~~~~~~

Also, I've put my number in for the ballot at the Grand Final of Aussie Rules season - hope to win a reserved seat with a great view of the big match if I am lucky. My team looks like getting up again for the last Saturday in September. They look like finishing on top of the ladder, only two games to go then the finals start, so maybe I should start planning to get down to Melbourne again there for the big game. Go Cats!

In case you didn't realize the MCG is one of the largest arenas in the world, with capacity seating of over 100,000 and regular attendances often of over 60,000 in the bloody horrible weather of Melbourne's winters, which is amazing. However, even with this huge amphitheater AND E@L being a Full Member (you may rise now), there is no guarantee of getting a seat without camping overnight at the ground... And at my age, that's way undignified!

My team, The Cats won the Final in the year 2007, then lost last year due to some controversial tactics by the opposition which have since been outlawed for this season, and this year might be the beginning of the end of their period of dominance as the bodies of the players are starting to wear out...

Know that feeling, don't we dear readers?

So I think I'll put myself down for a flight to MEL right now as these times may not come again... I'm SURE to win a seat, right?

E@L

7 comments:

Lost in Melbourne said...

I guess you just had be a Cat's supporter consider where you grew up. We all have our weaknesses, better to not disclose my own right now.

Let me know what you are up to in town and if you have a spare moment for a catch up.

rockstar69 said...

You won't make it to the ballot unless you send your freaking membership number :-)))))

expat@large said...

Scott: spare moment???? The trip is origainally business with afew days extra to catch up on my mum ho has been unwell.

Rocky: check your inbox, I sent it last night!

expat@large said...

Scott: spare moment???? The trip is origainally business with afew days extra to catch up on my mum ho has been unwell.

Rocky: check your inbox, I sent it last night!

rockstar69 said...

"My team, The Cats won the Final in the year 2007, then lost last year due to some controversial tactics by the opposition"


Oh dear!!

For those who need an impartial view, the Cats lost after failing to stuff their opponent into a body bag in the first half when they had the chance due to the worst case of yips and choking in front of goal in 10 years. The Roos being the last to stuff up a half of complete dominance in 1998.

expat@large said...

Rocky: whatever...

Delayed my flight to Melbourne till Sunday reducing my holiday even further.

Unknown said...

Phil, what are Sydney dates? My boss is forcing me to NSW for some work, wondering if I can catch up.

Free Podcast

Related Posts with Thumbnails